Title

Man accused of phone hacking says he was only

Database

Electronic Media Monitoring Service 

Date

30-07-2011 08:06 AM

Source

ABC Canberra 666

Parl No.

 

Channel Name

ABC Canberra 666

Start

30-07-2011 08:06 AM

Abstract

 
End

30-07-2011 08:36 AM

Cover date

2011-07-30 08:06:55

Citation Id

337651

Enrichment

 
Reporter

JACKSON, Elizabeth

Speaker

MURDOCH, James

URL

Open Item 

Parent Program URL
Text online

No

Media Deleted

False

System Id

emms/emms/337651

Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document


Man accused of phone hacking says he was only -

View in ParlViewView other Segments

Man accused of phone hacking says he was only following orders

Brooke Bowman reported this story on Saturday, July 30, 2011 08:08:00

ELIZABETH JACKSON: The man accused of hacking phones for the News of the World has defended himself
in a statement through his lawyers saying he was only following instructions.

The statement comes as a parliamentary committee says it's likely to recall James Murdoch to
clarify evidence that he gave which was later challenged by former staff.

Brooke Bowman reports from London.

BROOKE BOWMAN: A day after it was alleged the phone of a grieving mother was hacked, the police
officer investigating her daughter's murder says he fears his phone may have also been targeted.

MARTYN UNDERHILL: I believe my phone was hacked by the News of the World and I contacted Operation
Weeting just over two weeks ago to report that suspicion.

BROOKE BOWMAN: Detective Martyn Underhill was in charge of liaising with Sara Payne, the mother who
is the latest to discover she was a phone hacker's victim.

Now the private investigator at the centre of it all has broken his silence, revealing he was told
to hack.

Glenn Mulcaire, who's already faced jail time for phone hacking, is under further investigation
with police looking at thousands of allegations.

His lawyers released a statement saying "as an employee he acted on the instruction of others", and
that "any suggestion he acted unilaterally, is untrue".

There's still pressure on News International boss James Murdoch. At last week's parliamentary
committee he professed ignorance about an email that may have shown phone hacking went beyond one
rogue reporter.

TOM WATSON: Did you see or were you made aware of the for Neville email, the transcript of the
hacked voicemail messages?

JAMES MURDOCH: No, I was not aware of that at the time.

BROOKE BOWMAN: The committee members are likely to ask him to return.

Committee chairman John Whittingdale says he needs more information.

JOHN WHITTINGDALE: What I want to have is the detailed submission from those individuals who
dispute part of James Murdoch's evidence so that we can then question him about that. At the moment
all we've got is a very brief statement from them saying we don't agree.

If we are to re-examine James Murdoch we need to know more about the areas in which they say that
he's wrong, but certainly it is our intention to pursue that and I think it very likely that we
will wish to hear from him.

BROOKE BOWMAN: The Murdochs may have felt some justice today.

The man who threw a foam pie in Rupert Murdoch's face pleaded guilty to assault. But as he walked
from court the comedian had a parting shot of his own.

JONATHAN MAY-BOWLES: I'd just like to say that this has been the most humble day of my life.

Thank you very much.

BROOKE BOWMAN: Jonathan May-Bowles will be sentenced early next month.

This is Brooke Bowman in London for Saturday AM.