Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
Victorian Exceptional Circumstances Decision

Download PDFDownload PDF


Victorian Exceptional Circumstances Decision 20 May 2011


The Australian Government has accepted the independent advice of the National Rural Advisory Council not to extend Exceptional Circumstances assistance to parts of Victoria that expired on 31 March 2011.

The Victorian Government lodged an appeal following initial advice from NRAC and a decision from the Australian Government not to extend exceptional circumstances in Victoria.

That appeal was referred to NRAC for its assessment and advice.

NRAC confirmed its original assessment that an improvement in seasonal conditions has provided the majority of producers across the area with the opportunity to return to typical farm management practices.

For those affected by flooding events there is a range of government assistance available, including assistance to farmers and small businesses through the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements.

“The Gillard Government has delivered an advance payment of $500 million to the Victorian Government to help rebuilding essential infrastructure,” Minister Ludwig said.

“Direct emergency assistance to households has delivered $38 million in immediate relief to Victorians affected by these floods.”

The 2011-12 Budget allocated $12.8 million to continue the Transitional Income Support program. This program provides up to 12 months of income support to farmers in serious financial difficulty, including but not limited for those farmers coming out of EC declarations.

For information on Transitional Income Support visit Centrelink or phone the Farmer Assistance Line on 1800 050 585.

Information on Rural Financial Counsellors can be found by calling 1800 686 175.

Information about the range of assistance measures available to primary producers and small businesses in flood-affected areas is available at Disaster Assist.

More information on the council”s recommendation can be found at Exceptional Circumstances.