Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
 Download Full Day's HansardDownload Full Day's Hansard    View Or Save XMLView/Save XML

Previous Fragment    Next Fragment
Wednesday, 29 September 1971
Page: 1712

Mr Les Johnson (HUGHES, NEW SOUTH WALES) asked the Minister for the Interior, upon notice:

Has any land been made available for use by the Gurindji people at Wattie Creek; if so, what conditions apply to its availability. .

Mr Hunt - The answer to the honourable member's question is as follows:

About 200 acres of land at Seale Gorge near Wattie Creek has. been reserved as an area of significance to Aborigines and this area is protected under the Native and Historical areas and Objects Preservation Ordinance. Only Aborigines including those at Wattie Creek may enter this area without permission. The area is under the control of Aboriginal Rangers.

No other land has been set aside for the use of the people camping at Wattie Creek but these people have the. same statutory rights as other Aboriginal people to freely enter any land in the Territory under pastoral lease and take game and use natural waters on such lands.

I recently announced that three bores have been successfully sunk at Wave Hill and that, in the interests of health, this supply will be connected to the Wattie Creek camp to provide an assured supply of water for domestic purposes as soon as funds become available.

Education: Scholarships (Question No. 3868)

Dr Klugman asked the Minister for

Education and Science, upon notice:'

What is the proportion of Commonwealth (a) secondary scholarship winners as a percentage of pupils in the fourth form (school certificate year) and (b) tertiary scholarship winners as a percentage of pupils in the sixth form (higher school certificate year) in each school grouped according to (i) State schools, (ii) Roman Catholic schools and (iii) other private schools for the Electoral Division of Parramatta.

Mr Malcolm Fraser (WANNON, VICTORIA) - The answerto the honourable member's question is as follows:

Statistical records covering schools in particular electoral divisions are not maintained by my Department. However, if the honourable member cares to provide me with a list of the schools in which he is interested, then 1 shall see what details are available for those schools. What information there is will relate only to the number of applicants for and winners of Commonwealth Secondary scholarships. Statistics of enrolments at particular schools and of Commonwealth tertiary scholarship winners from individual schools are not kept by my Department.

Suggest corrections