Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
End date for Wambelong bushfire payments approaches

Download PDFDownload PDF

Senator the Hon Jan McLucas Minister for Human Services

The Hon Mark Dreyfus QC MP Attorney-General Minister for Emergency Management Special Minister of State Minister for the Public Service and Integrity

End date for Wambelong bushfire payments approaches

People affected by the Wambelong Bushfires this year in the Coonamble, Gilgandra, and Warrumbungle Local Government Areas have until 16 July 2013 to lodge a claim for the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP).

"The Wambelong bushfires destroyed a total of 53 homes, as well as sheds, agricultural machinery, livestock and even infrastructure around the Siding Springs Observatory," Attorney-General and Minister for Emergency Management, Mark Dreyfus said.

"While many claims have already been granted, there may be eligible residents who are yet to lodge an assistance claim," Mr Dreyfus said.

More than 800 Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payments have already been made to date to residents affected by the Wambelong Fires, totalling over $1 million in assistance.

Minister for Human Services, Senator Jan McLucas has urged eligible residents to lodge a claim before the payment closes on 16 July 2013.

"The payment provides support to affected residents to help them get back on their feet after the devastation of the disaster," Senator McLucas said.

The AGDRP provides a one-off payment of $1,000 for eligible adults and $400 for each eligible child in declared Local Government Areas.

It is available to those:

 whose home was destroyed or severely damaged  who were seriously injured in the disaster  who were unable to gain access to their home for 24 hours or more, or  whose home was without utilities or other essential services for at least 48 hours.

To lodge an AGDRP claim or for more information, visit[6] or call 180 22 66. Hard copy claim forms can also be given to staff at Department of Human Services (including Centrelink or Medicare) Service Centres.

3 July 2013