Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
 Download Full Day's HansardDownload Full Day's Hansard    View Or Save XMLView/Save XML

Previous Fragment    Next Fragment
Thursday, 20 September 1906


Senator STANIFORTH SMITH (Western Australia) . - Iam surprised that no attempt has been made, except in regard to the first item, to increase these Excise duties, although we have been told that we shall lose from£60,000 to £80,000 in revenue if the Government proposals are adopted.


Senator Lt Col Gould - That is in the first year.

Senator STANIFORTHSMITH.Yes. No doubt the loss in subsequent years will be greater.


Senator McGregor - Is not the honorable senator opposed to indirect taxation ?


Senator STANIFORTH SMITH - I think that, except in regard to spirits of the finest quality, the Excise should equal the import duty. It is proposed to levy a duty of only11s. per gallon on whisky, 75 per cent, of which may be spirit distilled from rice, rye, or any kind of grain, only the remaining 25 per cent, being pure barley malt spirit. The former Excise was 13s. a gallon. As the import duty is 14s., there is a difference of 3s. a gallon in favour of the local distiller. Senator Clemons has pointed out that pot still whisky costs probably 4s. a gallon to produce, but I do not think that we should give as much protection to a poor spirit such as this blended whisky as we give to blended wine brandy, for instance, which has also an Excise of 11s. I therefore move -

That the House of Representatives berequested to amend item (5) by leaving out the figures " 11 " and inserting in lieu thereof the figures " 12."







Suggest corrections