Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
 Download Current HansardDownload Current Hansard   

Previous Fragment    Next Fragment
Saturday, 18 December 1993
Page: 5125

Senator ELLISON (12.42 p.m.) —My question to the minister involves a state minister acting as a designated authority under Commonwealth legislation and making a grant or acting with regard to, for instance, legislation for offshore petroleum exploration or fishing. Would that act be attributable to the Commonwealth?

  I am referring to subdivision A headed, `Acts attributable to the Commonwealth'. As I understand it, there are situations where we have state ministers doing things which are pursuant to Commonwealth legislation. They are acting as a designated authority. The petroleum exploration is one such case, fishing might be another and, no doubt, there are many more. Where does that category of act fit in? Is it under this subdivision or subdivision B, `Acts attributable to a State or Territory'?