Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
 Download Full Day's HansardDownload Full Day's Hansard    View Or Save XMLView/Save XML

Previous Fragment    Next Fragment
Thursday, 2 December 1971
Page: 4089

Mr DEPUTY SPEAKER (Mr Drury - Is leave granted? There being no objection leave is granted. (The documents read as follows) -

Best Arrangement' for Dried Fruits

The main points in the plan, from 1971 to 1975, are:

Base price set each season according to cash costs movements for sultanas, raisins and currants.

Base price for 1971: Sultanas $273 a ton; currants $313 a ton; raisins $243 a ton.

If average return exceeds $10 a ton over base price, grower pays into funds to maximum of $20 a ton.

If return more than $10 a ton below base price, payments from funds to growers.

Government guarantees bounty payments with maximum payment of $23 a ton if Government money involved.

Tonnage limitations apply. No contributions are paid when production is less than 8,000 tons for currants, 60,000 tons for sultanas and 6,000 tons for raisins.

No bounty is paid from a fund on more than 13,500 tons for currants, 75,000 tons for sultanas and 11,000 tons for raisins.

An important feature was that in a year when bounty was payable, 90 per cent of the bounty, estimated on statistics available on 25th February following .the crop, would be paid soon after that date. The remaining 10 per cent would be paid soon after.

The meeting was organised by the Australian Dried Fruits Association and the Member for Mallee, Mr Winton Turnbull. The League's Development and Promotion Officer, Mr W. R. Denbow, attended with South Australian growers.

Extract from article by

Mr W.R. Denbow

The Aborigines called it place of red rock - Mildura. In 1887, George and William Chaffey established their 'irrigation colony' in a 'Sahara of hissing, hot winds and red driving sand' as the sceptics described it. Today that colony covers over 50,000 acres of irrigated vines and citrus amid a population of 35,000 people. They call it Sunraysia, a name which conjures up a land of sunshine. Indeed it is, boasting more hours of sunshine during the year than famed Surfers Paradise.

To the visitor impressions are great expanses of vine plantings, a striking highway plantation clothed with green lawns and trees splashed with beds of floral colour, a clean city with wide streets and inviting stores - a refreshing contrast to the surrounding country.

In the irrigation areas the fruit industry activities are absorbing and educational. Inspections can be made of the great Red Cliffs pumping station, the largest in Australia with a daily capacity of 640 million gallons; the dried fruits and citrus .packing houses, very much automated in their operations; and the Mildara Winery at Merbein, established at Irymple originally by W. B. Chaffey. For those who have not seen the operations of a fruit block, two vine and' citrus orchards conduct inspections and slide screenings to show what goes on.

Suggest corrections