Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
 Download Current HansardDownload Current Hansard    View Or Save XMLView/Save XML

Previous Fragment    Next Fragment
Wednesday, 21 October 2015
Page: 12038


Mrs GRIGGS (Solomon) (16:00): The NBN is being delivered under the current coalition government despite inheriting Labor's mismanaged and appalling track record on the NBN. We have heard those guys opposite skyping about their achievements but the fact is that, under Labor, around $6.5 billion was spent to deliver broadband to two per cent of premises. At the last election, only 260,000 premises in fixed line areas were passed by the NBN. Today, that figure is more than one million premises that can access the NBN in a fixed line service area. Under Labor, there were only 51,000 users who were on fixed line wireless networks. Today, there are more than 570,000 fixed line subscribers.

An analysis of the all-fibre model showed that under Labor the NBN would not be finished until 2026 at the earliest, with peak funding to cost between $74 billion and $84 billion. This was just reckless and a gross mismanagement of taxpayers' money. Some of my colleagues have already pointed out the fact that an editorial recently in the Australian Financial Reviewsaid 'Labor has no credibility in this area' and then further described Labor's plan for the NBN as 'an expensive joke'—a very expensive joke indeed.

We heard some of those opposite say that they have got poor NBN and have had no broadband for more than a decade. I am sure that you will agree, Mr Acting Deputy Speaker Vasta, that is pretty disastrous in the middle of a technological revolution. Innovation and the ability to prosper in the digital economy would suffer under Labor. This is completely and utterly unacceptable and I am glad that, at the last election, Labor's expensive joke was destroyed.

Now in contrast, under the coalition's plan brought to the table, the NBN remains on track to be completed in 2020. This is six to eight years earlier and $30 billion less than what Labor had proposed. This is by no means second-rate as they suggest opposite. This is just how you run economically responsible government and there is no compromise on quality. Under the coalition government's plan, we make use of the existing copper and cable infrastructure running into homes and why wouldn't you? This method means that the NBN can be completed far sooner and for far less taxpayers' money. As I said previously, the coalition is on track and has estimated that the NBN will be accessible or have construction underway to 72,000 homes and businesses by September 2018.

I would like to give a couple of examples from my electorate. The NBN is well and truly underway. My constituents are very happy and they are very excited about the prospects of the completion and of being connected. As at to October 2015 we have: 37,248 premises ready-for-service; 30,354 premises that are serviceable; and 12,646 premises that have been activated across Alawa, Anula, Bayview, Brinkin, Casuarina, Darwin City, Driver, Durack, East Arm, East Point, Eaton, Fannie Bay, Jingili, Karama, Larrakeya, Leanyer, Ludmilla, Lyons, Malak, Marlow Lagoon, Marrara, Moyle, Nakara, Rosebery, Stuart Park, The Gardens, The Narrows, Tiwi, Virginia, Wagaman, Wangury, Woolner, Wulagi and Yarrawonga. There are 10,400 premises where build is underway, cutting across areas such as: Bakewel, Berrimah, Coconut Grove, Coonawarra, Hidden Valley, Holtz, Knuckey Lagoon, Millner, Nightcliff, Pinelands, Rapid Creek, Rosebery and Winnellie.

Those who are already reaping the benefits of their NBN connection have told me of their experience. For example, Vanessa from Bayview told me about the ease with which NBN was connected to her house. She said that she went into a Telstra store and, at the end of that three weeks, she had NBN connected. (Time expired)