Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
 Download Current HansardDownload Current Hansard   

Previous Fragment    Next Fragment
Wednesday, 7 December 1983
Page: 3472

Question No. 806

Mr Braithwaite asked the Minister for Housing and Construction, upon notice, on 16 November 1983:

(1) What (a) financial, (b) technical and (c) other forms of assistance are available from the Minister's Department, to private business.

(2) What (a) is the contact point and (b) requirements have to be met to qualify, for each form of assistance.

Mr Hurford —The answer to the honourable member's question is as follows:

(1) (a) The Department of Housing and Construction has no general program of financial assistance to private business. Through the Grants-in-Aid Program, partial funding is provided to the Australian Fire Protection Association for the promotion of fire safety requirements and community awareness.

(b) indirect assistance is provided to private businesses in the form of advice on research, supply and contract procedures; and technical information on the application of Australian standards.

Engineering expertise is made available to Computer Aided Design Pty Ltd, a non -profit association which provides information to private engineering and architectural organisations, and to package overseas consultancy projects undertaken by Australian private consultants and funded by such organisations as the Australian Overseas Projects Corporation and the Australian Development Assistance Bureau. Indirect assistance is also provided through the Experimental Building Station (EBS) and the Central Investigation and Research Laboratory ( CIRL) by providing research information through their technical publications. Direct verbal advice is available from EBS, however, a charge is made for advice requiring a significant amount of EBS work. Indirect assistance from CIRL is provided through its work with the Standards Association of Australia and the National Association of Testing Authorities Australia.

Access to DHC computerised costing information is also provided to private consulting firms for quantity surveying.

(c) Information brochures are provided to real estate agents, financial institutions and to builders on various forms of housing assistance schemes.

2 (a) General inquiries: Central Office (062) 436111, P.O. Box 111, Dickson 2602; Experimental Building Station: (02) 8882777; Central Investigation and Research laboratory: (03) 642561.

(b) No specified requirements for private businesses.