|Title||Senate Notice Paper No. 72 - 07/02/2012
Questions On Notice
Notice given 8 December 2010
|Database||Senate Notice Papers|
|Period of Sitting||Autumn
Notice given 8 December 2010
Senator Bob Brown: To ask the Ministers listed below (Question Nos 340-341)—
(1) (a) What support does the Australian Government provide to the Indonesian Police Force, including the unit known as Detachment 88 (D88); (b) on what date was that support first provided; and (c) can a breakdown be provided of support in subsequent financial years, separating funding for D88 from other support.
(2) (a) What support does the Australian Government provide to the groups in Kopassus, including the units known as Detachment 81 and Sandi Yudha; (b) on what date was that support first provided; and (c) can a breakdown be provided of support in subsequent financial years.
(3) (a) What defence equipment or other equipment is provided to D88, Detachment 81 or Sandi Yudha; and (b) can an itemised list be provided of the type and cost of items provided to each of the three groups.
(4) Has any training been provided for each of the three groups, D88, Detachment 81 and Sandi Yudha; if so, for each group what are the details of this training, including dates, location and numbers of Australian personnel involved.
(5) Can an outline be provided of the policy objectives that the Australian Government aims to meet in providing support to these units.
(6) (a) Does the Australian Government require the Indonesian Government to report on the activities and achievements of either D88, Detachment 81 or Sandi Yudha; and/or (b) is any independent evaluation or monitoring of the activities required by the Australian Government under the terms of its support for any of the units.
(7) Has the Australian Government sought or received any advice about its legal obligations under the United Nations Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (the Convention) and, in particular, the obligations of Australian Government agencies in providing funding or training to foreign officers or units that may be in contravention of the Convention; if so, can details of the nature of the advice sought or received be provided.
(8) What is the Australian Government’s response to allegations that D88, Detachment 81 or Sandi Yudha have been used to repress the activities of peace activists in West Papua, the Malukas and elsewhere in Indonesia.
(9) (a) Has the Australian Government sought or received any advice about allegations of the use of torture by D88, Detachment 81 or Sandi Yudha during their operations; if so, can details of the nature of the advice sought or received be provided; and (b) has the Australian Government raised this issue with the Indonesian Government in any way; if so, can the details be provided of the nature of any representations made to the Indonesian Government.
340 Minister representing the Minister for Foreign Affairs