Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
Training: where's the money coming from?

Download PDFDownload PDF

Media Release Jenny MacklinMP

Thursday, June 19, 2003

Deputy Leader of the Opposition

Shadow Minister for Employment, Education, Training & Science Federal Member for Jagajaga


Education Minister Brendan Nelson has been caught out again.

The Minister claimed in Question Time today that the Howard Government would commit an extra $218.7 million to training under the Australian National Training Authority Agreement being negotiated with the states and territories.

But the Howard Government’s own Budget Paper Number 2 (see attachment) shows the Commonwealth has made no provision for extra funding under ANTA for the next four years.

In fact, the Howard Government will increase its entire Vocational and Other Education expenditure by just $87 million over the next four years, well short of the $218 million that Brendan Nelson claims the Howard Government will provide.

Deputy Labor leader Jenny Macklin said the Education Minister had been caught out once more, making wild and inaccurate claims.

“In the Budget the Howard Government turned its back on the thousands of Australians who find themselves locked out of vocational training every year,” she said.

“Brendan Nelson owes it to them to come clean and admit the Howard Government has no intention of increasing training opportunities for these Australians.

“If the government is serious about injecting an extra $218 million into the training system it must show where the money is coming from.”

More information: Adrian Rollins, 0438 950 375