Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
Further government initiative on youth employment



Download PDFDownload PDF

NFWR RELEASE FROM THE MINISTER FOR EMPLOYMENT AND INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS THE HON. TONY STREET, M.P

FURTHER GOVERNMENT INITIATIVE ON YOUTH EMPLOYMENT

The Minister for Employment and Industrial Relations, Mr Tony Street, today announced the provision of further assistance to employers to encourage the employment of young people.

This extends the NEAT Special Youth Employment Training Program which . applies to those who had left school at the end of 1975

and had been unable to establish themselves in the workforce.

Mr Street said that there had been a gratifying response from both employers and young people. Some 2300 young people have now been placed in training under the Program over six weeks and it was particularly pleasing to note that almost half of the trainees

had been placed in New South Wales, where previously it had been extremely difficult to obtain vacancies for young people. .

A subsidy, now $59 a week, will be available to employers who provide on-the-job training for six months to all young people who may have left school more than a year ago. This should be a

continuing incentive for employers to participate in the Program.

Applications are now invited from young people:

. aged 15-19 years ,

. who have been away from full-time education for at least 6 months.in the last 12 months

. who have been registered for employment with the . Commonwealth Employment Service for not less than a total of 6 months in the past 12 months or can show other evidence of being unemployed for 6 months.

. who register with the Commonwealth Employment Service '

The Program will be open at least until 31 January next, when it will be closely reviewed in the light of the employment situation at that time.

Mr Street said he looked forward to the extended Scheme continuing to make a valuable contribution toward assisting young people into stable employment.

EMBARGO: 5 p.m. . Sunday 21/11/7.6

CANBERRA 21 November 1976 34/76 .