Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
Refunds available on resident return visas

Download PDFDownload PDF

Philip Ruddock MP


Federal Member for Dundas Shadow Minister for Immigration and Ethnic Affairs

Electorate Parliament House

Tel: (06) 277 4343 Fax: (06) 277 2062

Tel: (02) 858 1011 Fax: (02) 804 6739


27 November 1992

Philip Ruddock, Federal Member for Dundas and Liberal Candidate for Berowra, wishes to advise local residents who have paid a fee for a Resident Return Visa in their non- Australian Passport that they can now apply for a refund of

the fee paid.

"The Department announced in May that refunds would be available to Australian citizens who had paid fees for a return visa in a non-Australian Passport on or after September 21 1991. However, the Ombudsman's Office has held discussions with the Department of Immigration to see whether

such a limitation is appropriate. Agreement has now been reached to delete this limitation."

Anyone wishing to claim the return of the fee paid should approach their local Department of Immigration & Ethnic Affairs. Evidence will need to be provided of Australian citizenship, the Passport containing the visa will be required

to be produced, along with either a receipt for the fee or a Statutory Declaration outlining how the fee was paid. Refunds will not be available over the counter, but will be posted out to the claimant.

Mr Ruddock urged anyone wishing to claim a refund to approach the Department promptly.