Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
War Memorial's fifth travelling exhibition launched.



Download WordDownload Word

image

Media Release

 

The Hon Bruce Scott MP

Minister for Veterans' Affairs

Federal Member for Maranoa

 

76/98

May 26, 1998

 

WAR MEMORIAL'S FIFTH TRAVELLING EXHIBITION LAUNCHED

 

The fifth in a program of travelling exhibitions aimed at heightening awareness of the role Australian ex-servicemen and women have played in the country's history was unveiled by the Minister for Veterans' Affairs, Bruce Scott in Canberra tonight.

 

The exhibition - U p Front - faces of Australia at war - has been developed by the Australian War Memorial and the National Portrait Gallery. It is the first to be staged in the new space of the National Portrait Gallery in Old Parliament House.

 

Up Front - faces of Australia at war examines the role of portraiture in wartime through painting, drawing and sculpture and items such as lockets, badges and playing cards. It includes works by artists Tom Roberts, George Lambert, William Doebel, Donald Friend, Nora Heysen, Albert Tucker, Sali Herman, Sidney Nolan and George Gittoes.

 

"The Federal Government's four-year commemorative activities program, Their Service - Our Heritage has already funded four Australian War Memorial travelling exhibitions," the Minister said.

 

"These exhibitions - the war photography of Damien Parer, Too Dark for the Light Horse, Impressions - Australians in Vietnam and the paintings and drawings of Australia's longest serving official war artist, Ivor Hele, have been seen by more than 145,000 people in 20 different towns and cities and, so far, are booked to appear in 24 more.

 

"I am pleased these travelling exhibitions are enabling so many Australians to see the War Memorial’s treasures. The Government is determined that, come the centenary of Federation in 2001, the entire community will have been given the opportunity to reflect upon the key role played by all servicemen and women over the past hundred years," he said.

 

Up Front - faces of Australia at war will close in Canberra on August 30 and then move to Launceston, Warrnambool and Melbourne before heading north in the middle of next year.

 

Media Contact: Melissa McKerihan 02 6277 7820 or 0419 607 783

 

 

 

rw