Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
False to say there is a 20 percent error rate in Centrelink debt recovery system

Download PDFDownload PDF

The Hon Alan Tudge MP Minister for Human Services

MEDIA RELEASE 13 January 2016


Labor's ongoing accusation that there is a 20 percent error rate in the Centrelink debt recovery system is false.

Every letter that is initially sent is based on a discrepancy between an individual's income data held at the Australian Taxation Office with their self-reported income data at Centrelink. The first letter simply notes the discrepancy and gives an opportunity for the individual to explain it. This is not a debt letter.

On 20 percent of occasions, the recipient is able to validly explain the discrepancy in the data. In the other 80 percent of occasions, a debt notice is subsequently issued.

This is not an "error rate". This is the system as it was designed to work. Seeking information from welfare recipients when a discrepancy between Centrelink data and Tax Office data is identified is a longstanding practice undertaken by both Labor and Coalition governments.

If people receive a debt notice, they can ask for an internal review and provide new information at that point. They can also appeal to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal. That is, people receive three opportunities to validly explain a discrepancy.

A dedicated 1800 number can assist people at any stage.

The individuals who receive these requests for information have typically received thousands of dollars from Australian taxpayers. It is very reasonable to ask them to take a little time to go online and clarify their information if there is a discrepancy between Centrelink and Tax Office data.

The government will continue to refine the process, including by making changes to ensure that people have received the first request for information. We will also continue to refine the letters and online portal to ensure that they are clear, simple and easily understood.

Media contact: Rachelle Miller 0475 804 886