Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
Abbott to attack carers



Download PDFDownload PDF

JENNY MACKLIN MP

SHADOW MINISTER FOR FAMILIES & PAYMENTS SHADOW MINISTER FOR DISABILITY REFORM MEMBER FOR JAGAJAGA

SENATOR CLAIRE MOORE SHADOW MINISTER FOR WOMEN, CARERS AND COMMUNITIES SENATOR FOR QUEENSLAND

MEDIA RELEASE

ABBOTT TO ATTACK CARERS

Tony Abbott has launched a new attack on Australian carers, with reports in today’s Australian indicating the Government’s secret welfare review is considering further cuts to the Carers Payment.

These latest reports come just weeks after the Government slashed the indexation arrangement for the Carers Payment, a cut that will leave Australia’s 220,000 carers around $80 a week worse off within ten years, according to the Australian Council of Social Services.

“Carers are people who dedicate their lives to the care of others. The sick, the elderly and people with disability all rely on them for support” said Shadow Minister for Families and Payments, Jenny Macklin.

“For their incredible work, they receive a modest pension of around $20,000 a year.

“More than 90 per cent of carers have no other income, as a result of the impact of their caring responsibilities on their capacity to work.

“For the Government to suggest that these people are somehow a burden on the budget is callous and outrageous. Tony Abbott should be ashamed.

“Not only did last month’s budget slash the indexation arrangement for the Carers Payment, Tony Abbott has also cut the National Respite for Carers Program, which provides much needed relief to people caring for loved ones at home who are unable to care for themselves because of disability or frailty,” said Shadow Minister for Carers, Claire Moore.

“For many carers, this respite is the only rest they have from their caring responsibilities.

“The budget also dramatically cuts support to people on the Disability Support Pension and the Age Pension, the very people who require care.

“Last month’s budget was a savage attack on vulnerable Australians. Unfortunately, it appears it is just the start.”

SATURDAY, 14 JUNE 2014

MEDIA CONTACT: ALISTAIR WEBSTER 0413 779 348