Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
First disaster recovery payments for Wambelong bushfires



Download PDFDownload PDF

MEDIA RELEASE SENATOR KIM CARR Minister for Human Services

THE HON JASON CLARE MP A/g Minister for Emergency Management

Friday, 18 January 2013

FIRST DISASTER RECOVERY PAYMENTS FOR WAMBELONG BUSHFIRES

The first disaster recovery payments have gone into the bank accounts of those affected by the Wambelong bushfires in north-western New South Wales.

Acting Minister for Emergency Management Jason Clare said it follows yesterday’s announcement by the Prime Minister of the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment of $1000 for eligible adults and $400 for eligible children.

“Within hours of the activation of this assistance in the Gilgandra, Coonamble and Warrumbungle local government areas 26 claims had been granted, worth $30,000,” Mr Clare said.

“This rapid response will support people during their time of need and meet some of the immediate costs of the recovery.

“With over 50 homes lost in this region, we expect more people to claim in the days ahead.

“This payment has also been activated in parts of Tasmania in the wake of the devastating fires there, with more than 5,300 claims granted to date, worth over $6 million.”

Minister for Human Services Senator Kim Carr said Department staff had been in Coonabarabran in New South Wales for the past two days and will remain over the weekend.

“Staff have mobilised quickly to support those affected, and will be located at the recovery centre which has been set up at the Community Hall in John Street,” Senator Kim Carr said.

“If people have been affected by the fires, we’d strongly encourage them to lodge a claim for assistance. You don’t have to be receiving a Centrelink payment to access this support - it’s for anyone who has been affected by the bushfires and meets the criteria.”

The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment is a one-off payment of $1000 for eligible adults and $400 for each eligible child. It is available to those:

 who have been injured as a direct result of the bushfires; or  whose home has been significantly damaged or destroyed; or  who were unable to gain access to their home for at least 24 hours; or  whose home was without electricity, water, gas, sewage services or another

essential service for a continuous period of 48 hours.

For more information or to claim the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment go to humanservices.gov.au/disaster or call the Australian Government Information Line on 180 22 66 from 8am to 8pm (local time), seven days.

Media contacts: Senator Kim Carr’s Office, 02 6277 7200 Mr Clare’s Office, 02 6277 790