Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
MRET critical to meeting emissions reduction targets.



Download PDFDownload PDF

Bob Brown  Senator for Tasmania     

Thursday, 7 August 2008

MRET critical to meeting emissions reduction targets ­ Greens 

The Australian Greens today backed calls to maintain the mandatory renewable energy  target and reject the reported advice of the Wilkins Review and the Productivity  Commission to scrap the scheme.    "It is quite clear that an emission trading scheme will not, on its own, be sufficient to  stimulate adequate investment in renewable energy," Senator Christine Milne,  Australian Greens spokesperson for Climate Change said today.    "As recognised by Professor Garnaut, achieving any reasonable greenhouse emission  target will require supplementary policies, including the renewable energy target and  feed‐in laws to kick‐start the renewable energy sector."      "However, the Government's inadequate target of reducing emissions by 60% by 2050  remains the central problem in this whole debate. If Australia adopts emission targets  that would actually give us a chance of avoiding catastrophic climate change, such as the  Greens' target of 40% cuts by 2020, heading towards zero net emissions by 2050 at the  latest, then the need for urgent investment in renewable energy becomes a no‐brainer,"  Senator Milne said.    Further information: Tim Hollo 0437 587 562