Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
Warren Truss misleads Australians on the NBN again



Download PDFDownload PDF

Warren Truss misleads Australians on the NBN again

Nationals Leader Warren Truss should apologise to the Australian people for continually misleading them about the National Broadband Network, the Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, Senator Stephen Conroy said today.

Mr Truss told Channel Ten’s Meet The Press program on Sunday that the Prime Minister said ‘suburbs of large provincial cities like Townsville, Rockhampton and Mackay are now only going to get wireless’[i]

“This is completely false. Mr Truss should stop misleading the Australian people when it comes to the NBN,” Senator Conroy said.

.

“Townsville is a first release site for fibre, with many residents already connected to the NBN. This was reported just last week in the Townsville Bulletin, under the headline ‘City quick to embrace the NBN’[ii]

“With the NBN, over 70 per cent of homes and businesses in regional Australia will get access to a fibre connection, at a wholesale price that will be the same in metro and country areas. Over 50,000 homes and businesses in Townsville, Mackay and Rockhampton are already part of the fibre rollout.”

.

Work has commenced to over 14,500 premises in Townsville. Work is due to commence in both Mackay and Rockhampton in the next 12 months, with 12,500 and 14,200 homes and business respectively to be passed by fibre as part of the 3 year plan announced in March.

“The Prime Minister’s recent NBN satellite and fixed wireless announcement was clear. They will provide access to fast, affordable and reliable broadband to rural and remote areas of Australia, including in ‘rural areas around Townsville, Mackay and Rockhampton’.[iii]

“This is not the first time Mr Truss has been caught out on the NBN. In March and May, he claimed people in his electorate of Wide Bay were not getting the NBN. He misled the Australian public on both occasions.

“Through the NBN, people in regional, rural and remote Australia will access fast and reliable broadband through fibre, wireless or satellite technology. The speed and capacity available over satellite and wireless are better than many existing copper services in metropolitan areas today.

“Mr Truss also misleads on the Coalition’s failed OPEL arrangement for regional broadband, for example, included no satellite services.[iv]

“At no time has the Coalition ever had a comprehensive broadband policy that guarantees fast, affordable broadband to every Australian home and business, at a wholesale price that is the same whether you live in the bush or the city.

“Mr Truss told Meet the Press that he is ‘committed to providing the highest standard of broadband services to people who live in regional Australia’.

“If this is correct he should commit to Labor’s National Broadband Network, the only policy that delivers fibre to 70% of homes and businesses in regional Australia and uses the latest technology for the remaining 30% of regional Australians.”

Date: 16 July 2012 Contact: Adam Sims 0408 258 457.

[i] Warren Truss, Meet The Press, Channel Ten, 15 July 2012. [ii] City quick to embrace the NBN, Townsville Bulletin, 11 July 2012. [iii]

Better broadband for regional and remote Australia, Prime Minister Press Release, 12 July 2012. [iv] “We were very much a part of putting in place the Optus contract, which would have delivered, and would have had delivered by now, wireless and satellite services to people who live in regional Australia.” Meet The Press, Channel Ten, 15 July 2012. Details of the Coalition’s OPEL plan can be found at http://www.minister.dbcde.gov.au/coonan/media/media_releases/australia_connected_fast_affordable_broadband_for_all_au stralians and http://www.minister.dbcde.gov.au/coonan/media/media_releases/new_opel_project_underway