Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
Important Uni reminder for Semester Two

Download PDFDownload PDF


MEDIA RELEASE SENATOR KIM CARR Minister for Human Services  



Students who want help with the costs of study or training are advised to contact Centrelink as soon as possible, to ensure they receive assistance when they need it.

Minister for Human Services Senator Kim Carr said all students who want to claim Youth Allowance, Austudy, ABSTUDY or the Pensioner Education Supplement should let Centrelink know about their work and study plans as soon as possible.

“Contacting Centrelink early will help ensure that they can access the correct income support payments when they need it most,” Senator Kim Carr said.

“They can use fast and convenient online services to claim Youth Allowance or Austudy,” he said.

People who have completed their studies and are looking for work may also be able to receive Youth Allowance or Newstart Allowance.

Senator Kim Carr said the amount students can earn before their payments are affected has increased.

“The Personal Income Test for Youth Allowance, Austudy and ABSTUDY has been increased from $263 to $400 a fortnight before payments are affected,” Senator Kim Carr said.

“Student Income Bank limits have also been increased. The maximum amount a student can accumulate in their income bank it has increased from $6,000 to $10,000.

“Ultimately it means students can work more during periods that suit their study timetables without affecting their Youth Allowance payments.”

Visit or call 132 490 for Youth Allowance, Austudy and Pensioner Education Supplement, 132 317 for ABSTUDY or 132 850 for Newstart.

Media contacts: Minister’s Office, 02 6277 7200                  


MEDIA RELEASE SENATOR KIM CARR Minister for Human Services  

Monday, 16 July 2012


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students who may be eligible for help with the cost of study or training are encouraged to contact Centrelink heading into the new school term.

Minister for Human Services, Senator Kim Carr said ABSTUDY can help full-time apprentices, secondary school, TAFE and university students with everyday costs.

“ABSTUDY can assist with living expenses such as accommodation, prescription medicines and fares to travel to your place of study each term or semester if you need to study away from home,” said Senator Kim Carr said.

Indigenous parents in remote communities whose children are attending boarding school in semester two this year are urged to confirm enrolments, check travel arrangements, and let Centrelink know - this way they can ensure they receive the right assistance.

Parents and guardians should also finalise new claims for ABSTUDY now where students are about to begin their studies in a mid-year intake.

People can complete the claim process by calling Centrelink on 13 2317 or by visiting their local Service Centre.

Applicants will receive a letter advising whether claims are successful, when payment starts and the amount that will be paid.

Students already receiving ABSTUDY are not required to complete a new claim for the second semester of 2012.

For more information on ABSTUDY call 13 2317 or the Indigenous Call Centre on 13 6380.

Media contacts: Minister’s Office, 02 6277 7200.