Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
Stop squabbling and get Pacific Highway money spent, says Hartsuyker



Download PDFDownload PDF

Media Contact: Richard Lehnert Coffs Harbour: 02 6652 6233 Canberra: 02 6277 4447 Mobile: 0422 565581

Email: richard.lehnert@aph.gov.au

June 21, 2012

Stop Squabbling and Get Pacific Highway Money Spent, says Hartsuyker The money available for work on the Pacific Highway should be spent on improvements as soon as possible, rather than squabbling over percentages between the Federal and State Governments, the Federal Member for Cowper, Luke Hartsuyker said today (Thursday).

He was speaking after a meeting in Canberra with the Leader of The Nationals, Warren Truss, and the chair of the Pacific Highway Taskforce and Mayor of Clarence Valley Council, Richie Williamson. Mr Truss is also Shadow Minister for Infrastructure and Transport.

“At the meeting, Warren Truss reaffirmed the Coalition’s commitment to upgrading the highway as quickly as possible, both to save lives and as a vital piece of national infrastructure,” Mr Hartsuyker said.

“He recognised that it has been apparent for some 12 months that the completion date for the dualling of the highway of 2016 was not realistic. It has taken 16 years to complete just 52 per cent of the project. Completing the remaining 48 per cent in four years is not feasible.

“We currently have $1.5bn in State funding and $3.5bn in Federal funding on the table which can be used to make considerable progress. Both governments should get on with the job instead of squabbling over percentages.

“There was no new funding announced for the coming financial year and the Federal funding announced in the Budget does not commence until 2013/14 so there is plenty of time to sort out the details.

“What we don’t want is for any of this money to be diverted to other projects because of a lack of agreement.”

Mr Williamson described the meeting as “fruitful” and said the taskforce was keen to explore all funding avenues to complete the highway duplication at the earliest feasible date.

Ends

Pic caption: Left to right: Luke Hartsuyker, Warren Truss and Richie Williamson at their Pacific Highway meeting in Canberra.

Media Contact: Richard Lehnert Coffs Harbour: 02 6652 6233 Canberra: 02 6277 4447 Mobile: 0422 565581

Email: richard.lehnert@aph.gov.au