Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
 Download Full Day's HansardDownload Full Day's Hansard    View Or Save XMLView/Save XML

Previous Fragment    Next Fragment
Tuesday, 13 November 1973
Page: 1714


Senator RAE - My question is directed to the Minister representing the Minister for the Environment and Conservation. As the Premier of Tasmania has not officially responded to the Commonwealth offer of $8m for a moratorium on Lake Pedder but has, by public statement, indicated that it will be rejected, and as it is increasingly and tragically clear that the destruction by pollution of the Derwent and Tamar Rivers and possibly parts of the north west coast of Tasmania is taking place, will the Minister reconsider the offer and give to the Tasmanian Premier the option of accepting it in relation to the cost of steps necessary to save those rivers and the coastline as an alternative to accepting the offer for a moratorium on Lake Pedder.


Senator CAVANAGH -The offer for the saving of Lake Pedder has been made. There have been reports that the State Government will not accept it. We must await some finality on this. I think that the Department of the Environment and Conservation will make money available to the States on any occasion where it can assist by such a grant in stopping the pollution which is taking place. I do not think any area other than Lake Pedder has ever been considered. I suggest that if there is need for Commonwealth financial assistance in other areas it is the responsibility of the State Government to make some representations.







Suggest corrections