Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
Friday, 18 November 1921


Senator E D MILLEN (NEW SOUTH WALES) (Minister for Repatriation) .- I move-

That the request be not pressed.

The position with regard to this item is that the imported hides are not the same class of hides as are produced in Australia. Owing to the warmer atmosphere of Australia, heavy hides are not produced in this country. The heavy hides, nevertheless, are necessary for certain manufacturing purposes. Our tanners, to meet the demand of the market for the heavier leathers, have to import the heavier hides. These hides do not come into competition with Australian hides. The effect of the duty, if it stopped importations, would be to deprive Australian tanners of some of the material with which they at present work. To that extent it would be prejudicial to the interests of Australia. If we are going to develop the leather manufacturing industry in Australia, it is a mistake, when 75 per cent, of the operations are carried on with Australian hides, to stand between the tanners and the source of the other 25 per cent, of their supplies.







Suggest corrections