Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
Disclaimer: The Parliamentary Library does not warrant or accept liability for the accuracy or usefulness of the transcripts. These are copied directly from the broadcaster's website.
More bodies recovered from Airbus wreckage -

View in ParlViewView other Segments

More bodies recovered from Airbus wreckage

The World Today - Monday, 8 June , 2009 12:26:00

Reporter: Lindy Kerin

PETER CAVE: Almost a week after an Air France Airbus A330 aircraft plunged into the Atlantic Ocean,
the search for victims is finally yielding results.

Seventeen bodies have now been recovered.

But with 228 people on board the flight when it went down, many more families are still waiting.

The investigation into the accident is continuing, with the focus now firmly on whether a defective
speed sensor caused the crash.

Lindy Kerin reports.

LINDY KERIN: Brazilian military authorities have been scouring the Atlantic, searching for the
wreckage of the doomed Air France Airbus.

Colonel Henry Munhoz told a press conference more debris and more bodies have been recovered.

HENRY MUNHOZ (translated): So far a total of 17 bodies have been retrieved in the search area. We
also found a number of structural components of the plane.

LINDY KERIN: A forensic expert from the Brazilian Federal Police, Jefferson Correia, says the
identification process will be difficult.

JEFFERSON CORREIA (translated): If we are talking about visual identification, relatives really
cannot help much because these are bodies that have been in the sea for a week or eight days.

The relatives can help when they are asked by the federal police and the Brazilian army to
recognise some belongings.

LINDY KERIN: France has appointed an ambassador to help coordinate the investigation into the
crash. There's already speculation the plane's air speed monitors could be to blame.

There's a suggestion the equipment may have iced up and led to conflicting speed readings. The
doomed jet sent out 24 automatic error messages in its final moments as its systems such down.

And French accident investigators have confirmed the cockpit was receiving conflicting speed data.

Since the crash, Air France has accelerated its plans to replace the monitoring units in its jets,
after noticing problems with airspeed information on its Airbus A330s and 340s since May last year.

The company has released a statement saying this should not be taken as prejudging the result of
the crash investigation.

In Australia, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority says it's not aware of any speed monitor
replacement program for A330 planes here as a result of the Air France accident.

A spokesman says he's monitoring the situation closely and will wait for further information from
Airbus.

And Qantas has released a statement saying there are two manufacturers of the speedometers. It
says:

EXCERPT FROM QANTAS STATEMENT (voiceover): Qantas can confirm that it uses an alternative
manufacturer to Air France.

Qantas has received no directive or recommendation from the manufacturer of our parts, Airbus, or
regulatory authorities to replace the pitot probes on our fleet.

We have complied with all directives and recommendations from the manufacturer, Airbus and
authorities with regards to our A330 fleet, and are confident that the safety of our fleet it
assured.

LINDY KERIN: A Brazilian navy frigate will take the bodies that have been recovered to a nearby
port, where every effort will be made to identify the victims. The search for the remaining bodies
and the plane's black box will continue.

For some of the victims' families, the recovery effort is too much. Isa Furtado Santanna's daughter
Isabela was on the Air France flight 447 when it went down.

ISA FURTADO SANTANNA (translated): I would rather they just leave her, wherever she is. This whole
rescue thing is too painful. It's very difficult for us.

PETER CAVE: Isa Santana, whose daughter was killed In the Air France flight, ending Lindy Kerin's
report.