- Parliamentary Business
- Senators and Members
- News & Events
- About Parliament
- Visit Parliament
SJ No 7 - 5 December 2013
SELECTION OF BILLS—STANDING COMMITTEE—REPORT NO. 10 OF 2013
- Parl No.
- System Id
Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
Table Of ContentsDownload PDF
Previous Fragment Next Fragment
Senate Journal No. 7 - 5 December 2013
- 1 MEETING OF SENATE
- 2 POKER MACHINE HARM REDUCTION ($1 BETS AND OTHER MEASURES) E BILL 2012 
- 3 FAIR TRADE (AUSTRALIAN STANDARDS) BILL 2013
- 4 NOTICES
- 5 SELECTION OF BILLS—STANDING COMMITTEE—REPORT NO. 10 OF 2013
- 6 ORDER OF BUSINESS—REARRANGEMENT
- 7 LEAVE OF ABSENCE
- 8 PRIVATE SENATORS' BILLS—CONSIDERATION
- 9 POSTPONEMENT
- 10 NOTICE
- 11 RESERVE BANK AMENDMENT (AUSTRALIAN RECONSTRUCTION AND DEVELOPMENT BOARD) BILL 2013
- 12 HEALTH—RURAL CLINICAL SCHOOLS
- 13 ENVIRONMENT—NEW SOUTH WALES—ROYAL NATIONAL PARK
- 14 IMMIGRATION—ASYLUM SEEKERS—TOWING OF AN INDONESIAN VESSEL—ORDER FOR PRODUCTION OF DOCUMENTS
- 15 AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY WATER MANAGEMENT LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL 2013
- 16 COMMONWEALTH INSCRIBED STOCK AMENDMENT BILL 2013
- 17 QUESTIONS
- 18 MOTIONS TO TAKE NOTE OF ANSWERS
- 19 NOTICE
- 20 PROPOSED MATTER OF PUBLIC IMPORTANCE—IMMIGRATION—ASYLUM SEEKERS
- 21 COMMUNICATIONS—NATIONAL BROADBAND NETWORK—STRATEGIC REVIEW—ORDER FOR PRODUCTION OF DOCUMENT—DOCUMENT
- 22 TRADE—TRANS-PACIFIC PARTNERSHIP PLURILATERAL FREE TRADE AGREEMENT—ORDER FOR PRODUCTION OF DOCUMENT—DOCUMENT
- 23 COMMUNITY AFFAIRS LEGISLATION COMMITTEE—ADDITIONAL INFORMATION—ESTIMATES
- 24 DOCUMENTS
- 25 COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP
- 26 ADVISORY COUNCIL ON AUSTRALIAN ARCHIVES—SENATE MEMBER OF COUNCIL
- 27 ELECTORAL MATTERS—JOINT STANDING COMMITTEE—NORTHERN AUSTRALIA—JOINT SELECT COMMITTEE—VARIATIONS OF APPOINTMENT
- 28 COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP
- 29 OFFSHORE PETROLEUM AND GREENHOUSE GAS STORAGE AMENDMENT (CASH BIDDING) BILL 2013E OFFSHORE PETROLEUM AND GREENHOUSE GAS STORAGE (REGULATORY LEVIES) AMENDMENT BILL 2013
- 30 NATIONAL HEALTH AMENDMENT (SIMPLIFIED PRICE DISCLOSURE) BILL 2013
- 31 RURAL RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL 2013E PRIMARY INDUSTRIES (EXCISE) LEVIES AMENDMENT BILL 2013E PRIMARY INDUSTRIES (CUSTOMS) CHARGES AMENDMENT BILL 2013
- 32 CUSTOMS AMENDMENT (ANTI-DUMPING COMMISSION TRANSFER) BILL 2013E SOCIAL SERVICES AND OTHER LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL 2013E TELECOMMUNICATIONS LEGISLATION AMENDMENT (SUBMARINE CABLE PROTECTION) BILL 2013
- 33 EDUCATION AND EMPLOYMENT REFERENCES COMMITTEE—PROPOSED REFERENCE
- 34 NOTICE
- 35 GOVERNMENT DOCUMENTS—ORDERS OF THE DAY—CONSIDERATION
- 36 COMMITTEE REPORTS AND GOVERNMENT RESPONSES—ORDERS OF THE DAY—CONSIDERATION
- 37 AUDITOR-GENERAL'S REPORTS—ORDERS OF THE DAY—CONSIDERATION
- 38 ADJOURNMENT
- 39 ATTENDANCE
SELECTION OF BILLS—STANDING COMMITTEE—REPORT NO. 10 OF 2013
The Chair of the Selection of Bills Committee (Senator Kroger) tabled the following report:
SELECTION OF BILLS COMMITTEE
REPORT NO. 10 OF 2013
1. The committee met in private session on Wednesday, 4 December 2013 at 7.19 pm.
2. The committee resolved to recommend—That—
(a) the provisions of the Infrastructure Australia Amendment Bill 2013 be referred immediately to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 17 March 2014;
(b) the provisions of the Migration Amendment (Regaining Control Over Australia's Protection Obligations) Bill 2013 be referred immediately to the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 3 March 2014; and
(c) the provisions of the Tax Laws Amendment (Research and Development) Bill 2013 be referred immediately to the Economics Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 17 March 2014.
3. The committee resolved to recommend—That the following bills not be referred to committees:
Australian Capital Territory Water Management Legislation Amendment Bill 2013
Australian Civilian Corps Amendment Bill 2013
Australian Research Council Amendment Bill 2013
Customs Amendment (Anti-Dumping Commission Transfer) Bill 2013
Education Services for Overseas Students Amendment Bill 2013
Grape and Wine Legislation Amendment (Australian Grape and Wine Authority) Bill 2013
Health Insurance Amendment (Medicare Funding for Certain Types of Abortion) Bill 2013
Higher Education Support Amendment (Savings and Other Measures) e Bill 2013
Import Processing Charges Amendment Bill 2013
Indigenous Education (Targeted Assistance) Amendment Bill (No. 2) 2013
National Health Amendment (Simplified Price Disclosure) Bill 2013http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/search/display/display.w3p;orderBy=customrank;page=0;query=Indigenous Education (Targeted Assistance)
Offshore Petroleum and Greenhouse Gas Storage Amendment (Cash Bidding) Bill 2013
Offshore Petroleum and Greenhouse Gas Storage (Regulatory Levies) Amendment Bill 2013
Primary Industries (Customs) Charges Amendment (Australian Grape and Wine Authority) Bill 2013
Primary Industries (Customs) Charges Amendment Bill 2013
Primary Industries (Excise) Levies Amendment (Australian Grape and Wine Authority) Bill 2013
Primary Industries (Excise) Levies Amendment Bill 2013
Rural Research and Development Legislation Amendment Bill 2013
Veterans' Affairs Legislation Amendment Bill 2013.
The committee recommends accordingly.
4. The committee considered the following bills but was unable to reach agreement:
Social Services and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2013
Telecommunications Legislation Amendment (Submarine Cable Protection) Bill 2013.
5. The committee deferred consideration of the following bills to its next meeting:
Environment Legislation Amendment Bill 2013
Fair Trade (Workers' Rights) Bill 2013
National Integrity Commission Bill 2013.
4 December 2013.
Senator Kroger moved—That the report be adopted.
Senator Siewert moved the following amendment:
At the end of the motion, add "but, in respect of:
(a) the Social Services and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2013, provisions of the bill be referred immediately to committees for inquiry and report by 11 February 2014 as follows:
(i) the provisions of Schedules 6 and 9 of the bill, to the Education and Employment Legislation Committee,
(ii) the provisions of Schedule 2 of the bill, to the Finance and Public Administration Legislation Committee, and
(iii) the remaining provisions of the bill, to the Community Affairs Legislation Committee; and
(b) the Telecommunications Legislation Amendment (Submarine Cable Protection) Bill 2013, the provisions of the bill be referred immediately to the Environment and Communications Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 31 March 2014.".
The Assistant Minister for Social Services (Senator Fifield) moved the following amendment to Senator Siewert's proposed amendment:
Paragraph (a), omit "11 February 2014", substitute "12 December 2013".
The Senate divided—
Question agreed to.
Question—That the amendment, as amended, be agreed to—put and passed.
Main question, as amended, put and passed.