- Parliamentary Business
- Senators and Members
- News & Events
- About Parliament
- Visit Parliament
SJ No 125 - 17 June 2010
TAX LAWS AMENDMENT (2010 MEASURES NO. 2) BILL 2010
- Parl No.
- System Id
Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
Table Of ContentsDownload PDF
Previous Fragment Next Fragment
Senate Journal No. 125 - 17 June 2010
- 1 MEETING OF SENATE
- 2 NOTICE
- 3 ORDER OF BUSINESS—REARRANGEMENT
- 4 POSTPONEMENT
- 5 RURAL AND REGIONAL AFFAIRS AND TRANSPORT LEGISLATION COMMITTEE—LEAVE TO MEET DURING SITTING
- 6 LEAVE OF ABSENCE
- 7 RURAL AND REGIONAL AFFAIRS AND TRANSPORT REFERENCES COMMITTEE—REFERENCE
- 8 FOREIGN AFFAIRS—GAZA—BLOCKADE
- 9 WORLD REFUGEE DAY 2010
- 10 RULES OF DEBATE—STATEMENT BY LEAVE
- 11 APPROPRIATIONS AND STAFFING—STANDING COMMITTEE—50TH REPORT
- 12 LEGAL AND CONSTITUTIONAL AFFAIRS LEGISLATION COMMITTEE—ADDITIONAL INFORMATION—ADDITIONAL ESTIMATES 2009-10 AND BUDGET ESTIMATES 2010-11
- 13 COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP
- 14 EXCISE TARIFF AMENDMENT (AVIATION FUEL) BILL 2010E CUSTOMS TARIFF AMENDMENT (AVIATION FUEL) BILL 2010
- 15 NATIONAL BROADBAND NETWORK—SELECT COMMITTEE—FINAL REPORT
- 16 LEGAL AND CONSTITUTIONAL AFFAIRS LEGISLATION COMMITTEE—REPORT—NATIONAL SECURITY LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL 2010 AND PARLIAMENTARY JOINT COMMITTEE ON LAW ENFORCEMENT BILL 2010
- 17 FINANCE AND PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION LEGISLATION COMMITTEE—REPORT—ELECTORAL AND REFERENDUM AMENDMENT (HOW-TO-VOTE CARDS AND OTHER MEASURES) BILL 2010 AND ELECTORAL AND REFERENDUM AMENDMENT (MODERNISATION AND OTHER MEASURES) BILL 2010
- 18 PAID PARENTAL LEAVE BILL 2010E PAID PARENTAL LEAVE (CONSEQUENTIAL AMENDMENTS) BILL 2010
- 19 TAX LAWS AMENDMENT (MEDICARE LEVY AND MEDICARE LEVY SURCHARGE) BILL 2010
- 20 CHILD SUPPORT AND FAMILY ASSISTANCE LEGISLATION AMENDMENT (BUDGET AND OTHER MEASURES) BILL 2010
- 21 TAX LAWS AMENDMENT (2010 GST ADMINISTRATION MEASURES NO. 2)E BILL 2010
- 22 TAX LAWS AMENDMENT (2010 MEASURES NO. 2) BILL 2010
- 23 TAX LAWS AMENDMENT (TRANSFER OF PROVISIONS) BILL 2010
- 24 MINISTERS OF STATE AMENDMENT BILL 2010
- 25 ELECTORAL AND REFERENDUM AMENDMENT (PRE-POLL VOTING AND OTHER MEASURES) BILL 2010
- 26 CUSTOMS TARIFF AMENDMENT BILL (NO. 1) 2010
- 27 HEALTH LEGISLATION AMENDMENT (AUSTRALIAN COMMUNITY PHARMACY AUTHORITY AND PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE) BILL 2010
- 28 AUSTRALIAN WINE AND BRANDY CORPORATION AMENDMENT BILL 2009
- 29 TRANSPORT SECURITY LEGISLATION AMENDMENT (2010 MEASURES NO. 1)E BILL 2010
- 30 SOCIAL SECURITY AMENDMENT (FLEXIBLE PARTICIPATION REQUIREMENTS FOR PRINCIPAL CARERS) BILL 2010
- 31 INDIGENOUS EDUCATION (TARGETED ASSISTANCE) AMENDMENT BILL 2010
- 32 DEFENCE LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL (NO. 1) 2010
- 33 PERSONAL PROPERTY SECURITIES (CORPORATIONS AND OTHER AMENDMENTS) BILL 2010
- 34 INTERSTATE ROAD TRANSPORT CHARGE AMENDMENT BILL 2010
- 35 INTERNATIONAL ARBITRATION AMENDMENT BILL 2010
- 36 AIRPORTS (ON-AIRPORT ACTIVITIES ADMINISTRATION) VALIDATION BILL 2010
- 37 EXPORT MARKET DEVELOPMENT GRANTS AMENDMENT BILL 2010
- 38 QUESTIONS
- 39 PAID PARENTAL LEAVE BILL 2010
- 40 MOTIONS TO TAKE NOTE OF ANSWERS
- 41 LAW AND JUSTICE—AUSTRALIAN FEDERAL POLICE—MINISTERIAL STATEMENT—DOCUMENT
- 42 ECONOMICS—STANDING COMMITTEE—GOVERNMENT RESPONSE—AUSTRALIA'S MANDATORY LAST RESORT HOME WARRANTY INSURANCE SCHEME
- 43 AUDITOR-GENERAL—AUDIT REPORT NO. 45 OF 2009-10—DOCUMENT
- 44 HEALTH—THERAPEUTIC GROUPS—ORDER FOR PRODUCTION OF DOCUMENTS—DOCUMENT
- 45 SENATE—STATEMENTS BY PRIME MINISTER
- 46 PAID PARENTAL LEAVE BILL 2010E PAID PARENTAL LEAVE (CONSEQUENTIAL AMENDMENTS) BILL 2010
- 47 SENATE—STATEMENTS BY PRIME MINISTER
- 48 GOVERNMENT DOCUMENTS—ORDERS OF THE DAY—CONSIDERATION
- 49 COMMITTEE REPORTS AND GOVERNMENT RESPONSES—ORDERS OF THE DAY—CONSIDERATION
- 50 AUDITOR-GENERAL'S REPORTS—ORDERS OF THE DAY—CONSIDERATION
- 51 ADJOURNMENT
- 52 ATTENDANCE
TAX LAWS AMENDMENT (2010 MEASURES NO. 2) BILL 2010
Order of the day read for the adjourned debate on the motion of the Parliamentary Secretary for Social Inclusion (Senator Stephens)—That this bill be now read a second time.
Question put and passed.
Bill read a second time.
The Senate resolved itself into committee for the consideration of the bill.
In the committee
Bill taken as a whole by leave.
Explanatory memorandum: The Special Minister of State (Senator Ludwig) tabled a supplementary explanatory memorandum relating to the government amendments to be moved to the bill.
On the motion of Senator Ludwig the following amendments, taken together by leave, were agreed to:
Schedule 1, item 13, page 9 (after line 10), after subsection 109CA(7), insert:
(7A) Subsection (1) does not apply to the provision of a dwelling to the entity if:
(a) the dwelling is a flat or home unit that is part of a complex of 2 or more flats or home units; and
(c) there is more than one share in the company, and each share (whether singly or as part of a parcel of shares) gives the relevant shareholder the right to occupy a flat or home unit in the complex; and
(d) each flat or home unit in the complex is covered by a share, or a parcel of shares, in the company; and
(e) the dwelling is provided to the entity because a shareholder holds such a share, or parcel of shares; and
(f) the company does not have legal or equitable interests in any assets other than legal or equitable interests in:
(i) the complex, and the land on which it is erected; and
(ii) any related land and buildings; and
(iii) any related plant, machinery, equipment, furniture or fittings; and
(iv) any assets relating to the matters mentioned in paragraph (g); and
(g) the assessable income of the company is derived predominantly from:
(i) managing and maintaining the complex (including the assets mentioned in subparagraphs (f)(i), (ii) and (iii)); and
(ii) interest and dividends relating to income derived from managing and maintaining the complex (including the assets mentioned in those subparagraphs).
(7B) Subsection (7A) does not apply in a case to which Subdivision E (about interposed entities) applies, if the company mentioned in that subsection is interposed between:
(a) a private company; and
(b) a shareholder, or an associate of a shareholder, of the private company.
Schedule 1, item 13, page 9 (lines 12 and 13), omit "subsections (6) and (7)", substitute "subsections (6) to (7A)".
Bill, as amended, agreed to.
Bill to be reported with amendments.
The Acting Deputy President (Senator Hurley) resumed the chair and the Temporary Chair of Committees reported accordingly.
On the motion of Senator Ludwig the report from the committee was adopted and the bill read a third time.