- Parliamentary Business
- Senators & Members
- News & Events
- About Parliament
- Visit Parliament
SJ No 27 - 25 March 1999
HEALTH LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL (NO. 2) 1999
- Parl No.
- System Id
Table Of ContentsDownload PDF
Previous Fragment Next Fragment
Senate Journal No. 27 - 25 March 1999
- 1 MEETING OF SENATE
- 2 NOTICES
- 3 POSTPONEMENTS
- 4 ORDER OF BUSINESS—REARRANGEMENT
- 5 AUSTRALIAN BROADCASTING CORPORATION AMENDMENT BILL 1999
- 6 NATIONAL COMPETITION POLICY—SELECT COMMITTEE—LEAVE TO MEET DURING SITTING
- 7 RESTITUTION OF PROPERTY TO KING ISLAND DAIRY PRODUCTS PTY LTD BILL 1996 —GENERAL BUSINESS ORDER OF THE DAY DISCHARGED
- 8 APPROPRIATIONS AND STAFFING—STANDING COMMITTEE—30TH REPORT
- 9 SCRUTINY OF BILLS—STANDING COMMITTEE—4TH REPORT AND ALERT DIGEST NO. 4 OF 1999
- 10 CUSTOMS (ANTI-DUMPING AMENDMENTS) BILL 1998 CUSTOMS TARIFF (ANTI-DUMPING) AMENDMENT BILL (NO. 2) 1998 APPROPRIATION (PARLIAMENTARY DEPARTMENTS) BILL (NO. 2) 1998-99 APPROPRIATION BILL (NO. 3) 1998-99 APPROPRIATION BILL (NO. 4) 1998-99
- 11 REFERENDUM LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL 1999 ASSISTANCE FOR CARERS LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL 1999
- 12 CUSTOMS TARIFF AMENDMENT BILL (NO. 1) 1999 EXPORT MARKET DEVELOPMENT GRANTS LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL 1999
- 13 LEGAL AND CONSTITUTIONAL REFERENCES COMMITTEE—REPORT—PRIVACY ISSUES
- 14 INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES—PROPOSED SELECT COMMITTEE
- 15 HEALTH LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL (NO. 2) 1999
- 16 REFERENDUM LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL 1999
- 17 BOUNTY (SHIPS) AMENDMENT BILL 1999
- 18 INDUSTRY RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT AMENDMENT BILL 1998
- 19 AIRPORTS AMENDMENT BILL 1999
- 20 ASSISTANCE FOR CARERS LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL 1999
- 21 QUESTIONS
- 22 QUESTION ON NOTICE—ANSWER
- 23 TAXATION—ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS
- 24 ORDER OF BUSINESS—REARRANGEMENT
- 25 INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES—SELECT COMMITTEE—APPOINTMENT
- 26 DOCUMENTS
- 27 INDEXED LISTS OF DEPARTMENTAL AND AGENCY FILES—ORDER FOR PRODUCTION OF DOCUMENTS—DOCUMENTS
- 28 HEALTH—AGED CARE
- 29 GOVERNMENT DOCUMENTS—ORDERS OF THE DAY—CONSIDERATION
- 30 COMMITTEE REPORTS AND GOVERNMENT RESPONSES—ORDERS OF THE DAY—CONSIDERATION
- 31 ADJOURNMENT
- 32 ATTENDANCE
HEALTH LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL (NO. 2) 1999
Order of the day read for the further consideration of the bill in committee of the whole.
In the committee
Consideration resumed of the bill, as amended.
That the House of Representatives be requested to make the following amendment:
Page 14 (after line 28), after Schedule 1, insert:
Schedule 1A—Amendment of the Health Insurance Act 1973 relating to the Medicare rebate for certain procedures rendered in approved procedures facilities
1 Subsection 10(2)
Omit "A benefit", substitute "Subject to subsection (2A), a benefit".
2 After subsection 10(2)
(2A) Subject to subsection (3) and section 14, the level of benefit that is payable in respect of the performance, in an approved procedures facility, of an out-of-hospital procedure determined by the Minister under subsection 73BA(2C) of the National Health Act 1953 is an amount at least equal to the sum of 85% of the Schedule fee and the facility benefit determined by the Minister under that subsection in respect of that service.
Question—That the request be agreed to—put.
The committee divided—
Question agreed to.
No. 1—Schedule 1, item 9, page 9 (line 21), after "subparagraph (ka)(i)", insert "or paragraph (ja)".
No. 2—Schedule 1, page 10 (after line 7), after item 9, insert:
9A After paragraph (j) of Schedule 1
(ja) where the rules of the organization provide for a waiting period with respect to contributors for benefits in accordance with an applicable benefits arrangement of the organization and the benefits are in relation to psychiatric care, palliative care or rehabilitation, that waiting period will not exceed 2 months;
—and of the amendment moved by the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Health and Aged Care (Senator Tambling) to Senator Harradine[quot ]s proposed amendment no. 2:
At the end of paragraph (ja), add "subject to the pre-existing ailment rule in paragraph (kc)".
Document: Senator Tambling tabled the following document:
Health Legislation Amendment Bill (No. 2) 1999—Pre-existing ailment provisions—Letter to all senators from Senator Tambling, dated 24 March 1999.
Senator Tambling, by leave, amended his amendment to read as follows:
Paragraph (ja), omit "where", substitute "subject to paragraph (kc), where".
Question—That Senator Tambling[quot ]s amendment to Senator Harradine[quot ]s proposed amendment no. 2 be agreed to—put and passed.
The question for the amendments was divided—
Question—That amendment no. 2, as amended, be agreed to—put and passed.
Question—That amendment no. 1 be agreed to—put and passed.
On the motion of Senator Tambling the following amendment was agreed to:
Schedule 1, item 12, page 10 (line 13), omit "paragraph (j)", substitute "paragraphs (j) and (ja)".
Question—That the bill, as amended, be agreed to—divided in respect of Schedule 2, item 9.
Schedule 2, item 9 debated.
Question—That Schedule 2, item 9 stand as printed—put and negatived.
Bill, as amended, further debated and agreed to, subject to a request.
Bill to be reported with amendments and a request.
The Deputy President (Senator West) resumed the chair and the Temporary Chair of Committees (Senator Knowles) reported accordingly.
Senator Tambling moved—That the report from the committee be adopted.
Order for production of documents: Senator Harradine moved the following amendment:
At the end of the motion, add "and that there be laid on the table as soon as practicable after the end of each period of 6 months, commencing with the 6 months ending on 31 December 1999, a report by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission containing an assessment of any anti-competitive or other practices by health funds or providers which reduce the extent of health cover for consumers and increase their out[hyphen]of-pocket medical and other expenses".
Senator Tambling moved the following amendment to Senator Harradine[quot ]s proposed amendment:
After "providers which", insert "come to the attention of the Commission, and".
Question—That Senator Tambling[quot ]s amendment to Senator Harradine[quot ]s proposed amendment be agreed to—put and negatived.
Question—That the amendment be agreed—put and passed.
Main question, as amended, put and passed.