- Parliamentary Business
- Senators and Members
- News & Events
- About Parliament
- Visit Parliament
Leave of Absence
- Parl No.
- Question No.
Abetz, Sen Eric
- System Id
Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
Table Of ContentsDownload Current Hansard View/Save XML
Previous Fragment Next Fragment
- Start of Business
- Tax Laws Amendment (Fairer Taxation of Excess Concessional Contributions) Bill 2013, Superannuation (Excess Concessional Contributions Charge) Bill 2013
- Health and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2012
- Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals Legislation Amendment Bill 2013
- Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Bill 2013
- Tax Laws Amendment (2013 Measures No. 1) Bill 2013, Tax Laws Amendment (2013 Measures No. 2) Bill 2013, Tax Laws Amendment (2013 Measures No. 3) Bill 2013
- Higher Education Support Amendment (Asian Century) Bill 2013
- Social Security Amendment (Supporting More Australians into Work) Bill 2013
- Appropriation (Parliamentary Departments) Bill (No. 1) 2013-2014, Appropriation Bill (No. 1) 2013-2014, Appropriation Bill (No. 2) 2013-2014
- Sugar Research and Development Services Bill 2013, Sugar Research and Development Services (Consequential Amendments and Transitional Provisions) Bill 2013, Sugar Research and Development Services (Consequential Amendments—Excise) Bill 2013
- Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority Amendment Bill 2013, International Organisations (Privileges and Immunities) Amendment Bill 2013
- Aged Care (Living Longer Living Better) Bill 2013, Sex Discrimination Amendment (Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Intersex Status) Bill 2013
- Grape and Wine Legislation Amendment (Australian Grape and Wine Authority) Bill 2013, Primary Industries (Customs) Charges Amendment (Australian Grape and Wine Authority) Bill 2013, Primary Industries (Excise) Levies Amendment (Australian Grape and Wine Authority) Bill 2013, Rural Research and Development Legislation Amendment Bill 2013, Primary Industries (Customs) Charges Amendment Bill 2013, Primary Industries (Excise) Levies Amendment Bill 2013, Homelessness Bill 2013, Homelessness (Consequential Amendments) Bill 2013, Intellectual Property Laws Amendment Bill 2013
- Superannuation Legislation Amendment (Service Providers and Other Governance Measures) Bill 2013, Social Security Legislation Amendment (Disaster Recovery Allowance) Bill 2013, Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards (Registration Fees) Bill 2013, Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards Amendment (Registration Fees) Bill 2013, Customs Tariff Amendment (Incorporation of Proposals) Bill 2013, Indigenous Education (Targeted Assistance) Amendment Bill 2013
Friday, 28 June 2013
Senator ABETZ (Tasmania—Leader of the Opposition in the Senate) (15:20): by leave—Relying on the tweet from Senator Farrell, I am assuming that we are not returning and, on that basis, that we are seeing the end of the 43rd Parliament. I agree with and concur with Senator Wong's comments—other than that I confess I never did seek Senator Crossin's advice on matters, but I found her to be a very worthy senator and opponent and wish her, on behalf of the coalition, all the best for the future.
Can I do the same for my colleague Senator Gary Humphries, who in fact on this occasion is sitting on the front bench. I have no doubt that, if his career had not been curtailed, he would have been sitting on the front bench in due course. To you, Senator Humphries, all the very best.
To Senator Joyce: all the very best with the seat of New England. We wish you well and trust that the people of New England reward your gutsiness in making the move in circumstances where it was anything but certain.
I conclude my remarks by saying a very sincere and heartfelt thanks to all our spouses, significant others and children who put up with this mad life and allow us to serve in the way that we do.
I thank colleagues for their support and especially Senator Brandis, Senator Mitch Fifield, Senator Michaelia Cash, Senator Helen Kroger and the other whips—and also, if I might say so, the managers and whips on the other side—for making this place work.
I thank the Clerk, the Senate staff and the Comcar drivers for the wonderful job they do in supporting us. Can I finish by thanking the parliamentary chaplain, who prays for all of us whether we like it or not. His support around the traps is very much appreciated. I thank the Senate.