- Parliamentary Business
- Senators and Members
- News & Events
- About Parliament
- Visit Parliament
Leave of Absence
- Parl No.
- Question No.
Wong, Sen Penny
- System Id
Table Of ContentsDownload Current Hansard View/Save XML
Previous Fragment Next Fragment
- Start of Business
- Tax Laws Amendment (Fairer Taxation of Excess Concessional Contributions) Bill 2013, Superannuation (Excess Concessional Contributions Charge) Bill 2013
- Health and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2012
- Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals Legislation Amendment Bill 2013
- Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Bill 2013
- Tax Laws Amendment (2013 Measures No. 1) Bill 2013, Tax Laws Amendment (2013 Measures No. 2) Bill 2013, Tax Laws Amendment (2013 Measures No. 3) Bill 2013
- Higher Education Support Amendment (Asian Century) Bill 2013
- Social Security Amendment (Supporting More Australians into Work) Bill 2013
- Appropriation (Parliamentary Departments) Bill (No. 1) 2013-2014, Appropriation Bill (No. 1) 2013-2014, Appropriation Bill (No. 2) 2013-2014
- Sugar Research and Development Services Bill 2013, Sugar Research and Development Services (Consequential Amendments and Transitional Provisions) Bill 2013, Sugar Research and Development Services (Consequential Amendments—Excise) Bill 2013
- Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority Amendment Bill 2013, International Organisations (Privileges and Immunities) Amendment Bill 2013
- Aged Care (Living Longer Living Better) Bill 2013, Sex Discrimination Amendment (Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Intersex Status) Bill 2013
- Grape and Wine Legislation Amendment (Australian Grape and Wine Authority) Bill 2013, Primary Industries (Customs) Charges Amendment (Australian Grape and Wine Authority) Bill 2013, Primary Industries (Excise) Levies Amendment (Australian Grape and Wine Authority) Bill 2013, Rural Research and Development Legislation Amendment Bill 2013, Primary Industries (Customs) Charges Amendment Bill 2013, Primary Industries (Excise) Levies Amendment Bill 2013, Homelessness Bill 2013, Homelessness (Consequential Amendments) Bill 2013, Intellectual Property Laws Amendment Bill 2013
- Superannuation Legislation Amendment (Service Providers and Other Governance Measures) Bill 2013, Social Security Legislation Amendment (Disaster Recovery Allowance) Bill 2013, Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards (Registration Fees) Bill 2013, Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards Amendment (Registration Fees) Bill 2013, Customs Tariff Amendment (Incorporation of Proposals) Bill 2013, Indigenous Education (Targeted Assistance) Amendment Bill 2013
Friday, 28 June 2013
Senator WONG (South Australia—Leader of the Government in the Senate and Minister for Finance and Deregulation) (15:17): I move:
That leave of absence be granted to every member of the Senate from the end of the sitting today to the day on which the Senate next meets.
Question agreed to.
Senator WONG: I seek leave to make a short statement.
Senator WONG: I want to make some brief comments in the time remaining. Senator Abetz has a plane to catch, and I have promised him that he will catch it. If we are going to be on the other side of the table from each other, then I had probably better deliver on that deal. We have had a number of valedictories and I do not propose to re-traverse the very lengthy, humorous and, at times, heartfelt contributions, but I do want to acknowledge Senator Crossin, Senator Humphries and Senator Joyce.
Senator Crossin was in the Senate when I first arrived. She was a progressive woman and I looked to her for advice and some mentoring. I really appreciate what she has done for me in that regard. I also knowledge her enormous contribution and knowledge when it comes to Indigenous affairs. Senator Humphries's sometimes quiet manner belied the rapier-like nature of his questioning. He was a worthy opponent, and I wish him well. Senator Joyce and I have had one of the more interesting relationships in this place, and I have to say that it is with mixed views that I regard his leaving the chamber. I wish him all the very best.
With the Senate's indulgence, I will make a couple of very brief comments about Senator Conroy and Senator Ludwig. As I said before, Senator Conroy is a man of great Labor heart and a very worthy leader of the government in the Senate, and I wish him well. I am pleased that he is continuing to serve. Senator Ludwig is a friend who has always been fantastic. He is someone who has given me great advice. He is a very honourable man, and I acknowledge his service on the frontbench.
On behalf of all senators, given that we are going into a really lengthy rise, I just acknowledge the contribution of all senators, the clerks and all Senate staff and in particular recognise Senator McEwen and Senator Jacinta Collins for their contribution from the government side. Thank you.