- Parliamentary Business
- Senators and Members
- News & Events
- About Parliament
- Visit Parliament
SJ No 11 - 12 December 2013
GAMBLING REFORM—JOINT SELECT COMMITTEE—PROPOSED APPOINTMENT
- Parl No.
- System Id
Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
Table Of ContentsDownload PDF
Previous Fragment Next Fragment
Senate Journal No. 11 - 12 December 2013
- 1 MEETING OF SENATE
- 2 MIGRATION AMENDMENT (VISA MAXIMUM NUMBERS DETERMINATIONS) BILL 2013
- 3 PETITION
- 4 NOTICES
- 5 SELECTION OF BILLS—STANDING COMMITTEE—REPORT NO. 11 OF 2013
- 6 ORDER OF BUSINESS—REARRANGEMENT
- 7 NATIONAL DISABILITY INSURANCE SCHEME—JOINT STANDING COMMITTEE—LEAVE TO MEET DURING SITTING
- 8 LEAVE OF ABSENCE
- 9 POSTPONEMENT
- 10 EDUCATION AND EMPLOYMENT REFERENCES COMMITTEE—REFERENCE
- 11 RURAL AND REGIONAL AFFAIRS AND TRANSPORT REFERENCES COMMITTEE—REFERENCES
- 12 ECONOMICS REFERENCES COMMITTEE—REFERENCE
- 13 MARRIAGE EQUALITY AMENDMENT BILL 2013
- 14 DEFENCE LEGISLATION AMENDMENT (WOOMERA PROHIBITED AREA) BILL 2013
- 15 CRIMINAL CODE AMENDMENT (MISREPRESENTATION OF AGE TO A MINOR) BILL 2013
- 16 TAXATION—GOODS AND SERVICES TAX—MOBILE HOME PARKS
- 17 TRANSPORT—WESTCONNEX MOTORWAY PROJECT—ORDER FOR PRODUCTION OF DOCUMENTS
- 18 INDIGENOUS AUSTRALIANS—CLOSING THE GAP REPORT—PARLIAMENTARY CONSIDERATION
- 19 HEALTH—PHARMACEUTICAL BENEFITS SCHEME—IMPACT OF TREATIES
- 20 SCHOOL FUNDING—SELECT COMMITTEE—APPOINTMENT
- 21 TRANSPORT—QANTAS
- 22 EDUCATION AND EMPLOYMENT REFERENCES COMMITTEE—REFERENCE
- 23 RURAL AND REGIONAL AFFAIRS AND TRANSPORT REFERENCES COMMITTEE—REFERENCE
- 24 LEGAL AND CONSTITUTIONAL AFFAIRS REFERENCES COMMITTEE—REFERENCE
- 25 EDUCATION AND EMPLOYMENT LEGISLATION COMMITTEE—UNANSWERED ESTIMATES QUESTIONS
- 26 PRIMARY INDUSTRIES—LIVE ANIMAL EXPORTS
- 27 GAMBLING REFORM—JOINT SELECT COMMITTEE—PROPOSED APPOINTMENT
- 28 COMMITTEES—ADDITIONAL INFORMATION—ESTIMATES
- 29 FINANCE AND PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION LEGISLATION COMMITTEE—REPORT—COMMONWEALTH ELECTORAL AMENDMENT (ABOVE THE LINE VOTING) BILL 2013
- 30 SENATORS' INTERESTS—STANDING COMMITTEE—DOCUMENT
- 31 PUBLICATIONS—STANDING COMMITTEE—1ST REPORT
- 32 COMMUNITY AFFAIRS LEGISLATION COMMITTEE—REPORT—SOCIAL SERVICES AND OTHER LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL 2013
- 33 INDIGENOUS EDUCATION (TARGETED ASSISTANCE) AMENDMENT BILL (NO. 2) 2013
- 34 FAIR WORK (REGISTERED ORGANISATIONS) AMENDMENT BILL 2013
- 35 AUSTRALIAN CIVILIAN CORPS AMENDMENT BILL 2013
- 36 IMPORT PROCESSING CHARGES AMENDMENT BILL 2013
- 37 GRAPE AND WINE LEGISLATION AMENDMENT (AUSTRALIAN GRAPE AND WINE AUTHORITY) BILL 2013E PRIMARY INDUSTRIES (CUSTOMS) CHARGES AMENDMENT (AUSTRALIAN GRAPE AND WINE AUTHORITY) BILL 2013E PRIMARY INDUSTRIES (EXCISE) LEVIES AMENDMENT (AUSTRALIAN GRAPE AND WINE AUTHORITY) BILL 2013
- 38 OFFSHORE PETROLEUM AND GREENHOUSE GAS STORAGE AMENDMENT (CASH BIDDING) BILL 2013E OFFSHORE PETROLEUM AND GREENHOUSE GAS STORAGE (REGULATORY LEVIES) AMENDMENT BILL 2013
- 39 RURAL RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL 2013E PRIMARY INDUSTRIES (EXCISE) LEVIES AMENDMENT BILL 2013E PRIMARY INDUSTRIES (CUSTOMS) CHARGES AMENDMENT BILL 2013
- 40 CUSTOMS AMENDMENT (ANTI-DUMPING COMMISSION TRANSFER) BILL 2013
- 41 ORDER OF BUSINESS—REARRANGEMENT
- 42 AUSTRALIAN CIVILIAN CORPS AMENDMENT BILL 2013
- 43 SOCIAL SERVICES AND OTHER LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL 2013
- 44 HOURS OF MEETING AND ROUTINE OF BUSINESS—PROPOSED VARIATION
- 45 QUESTIONS
- 46 MOTION TO TAKE NOTE OF ANSWERS
- 47 IMMIGRATION—ASYLUM SEEKERS—UNDETECTED BOAT ARRIVAL—ORDER FOR PRODUCTION OF DOCUMENTS
- 48 AUDITOR-GENERAL—AUDIT REPORT NO. 11 OF 2013-14—DOCUMENT
- 49 DEPARTMENT OF THE SENATE—REGISTER OF SENIOR EXECUTIVE OFFICERS' INTERESTS—DOCUMENT
- 50 PARLIAMENTARY COMMITTEE REPORTS—PRESIDENT'S REPORT—GOVERNMENT RESPONSES OUTSTANDING
- 51 GOVERNOR-GENERAL'S MESSAGE—ASSENT TO LAW
- 52 DEPARTMENT OF DEFENCE—SPECIAL PURPOSE FLIGHTS—DOCUMENT
- 53 ATTORNEY-GENERAL'S DEPARTMENT—INDEPENDENT NATIONAL SECURITY LEGISLATION MONITOR—DOCUMENT
- 54 DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL SERVICES—SOCIAL SECURITY APPEALS TRIBUNAL—DOCUMENT
- 55 HEALTH—PHARMACEUTICAL BENEFITS SCHEME—IMPACT OF TREATIES—DOCUMENT
- 56 PRIVILEGES—STANDING COMMITTEE—155TH REPORT
- 57 PROCEDURE—STANDING COMMITTEE—SECOND REPORT OF 2013
- 58 DOCUMENTS
- 59 TRADE—FREE TRADE AGREEMENTS—ORDER FOR PRODUCTION OF DOCUMENTS
- 60 COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP
- 61 AGED CARE ACT—DISALLOWANCES
- 62 ADMINISTRATION—ABBOTT GOVERNMENT
- 63 GOVERNMENT DOCUMENTS—ORDERS OF THE DAY—CONSIDERATION
- 64 COMMITTEE REPORTS AND GOVERNMENT RESPONSES—ORDERS OF THE DAY—CONSIDERATION
- 65 AUDITOR-GENERAL'S REPORTS—ORDERS OF THE DAY—CONSIDERATION
- 66 COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP
- 67 NEXT MEETING OF SENATE
- 68 LEAVE OF ABSENCE
- 69 END OF 2013 SITTINGS—STATEMENT BY PRESIDENT
- 70 ADJOURNMENT
- 71 ATTENDANCE
GAMBLING REFORM—JOINT SELECT COMMITTEE—PROPOSED APPOINTMENT
Senator Xenophon, pursuant to notice of motion not objected to as a formal motion, moved general business notice of motion no. 91—
(1) That a Joint Select Committee on Gambling Reform be established to:
(a) inquire into and report on the following:
(i) the Productivity Commission report on gambling, released in June 2010, including a national response to the full set of its recommendations,
(ii) any gambling-related legislation that has been tabled in either House, either as a first reading or exposure draft,
(iii) monitoring the impact of problem gambling and reforms to address problem gambling, and
(iv) such other matters relating to gambling referred by either House; and
(b) make recommendations to the Minister for Social Services and the Assistant Treasurer to inform any position that the Commonwealth will take to the COAG Select Council on Gambling Reform.
(2) That the committee consist of 10 members, 2 Members of the House of Representatives to be nominated by the Government Whip or Whips, 2 Members of the House of Representatives to be nominated by the Opposition Whip or Whips, 1 Member of the House of Representatives to be nominated by any minority party or independent Member, 2 Senators to be nominated by the Leader of the Government in the Senate, 2 Senators to be nominated by the Leader of the Opposition in the Senate and 1 Senator to be nominated by any minority party or independent Senator.
(a) participating members may be appointed to the committee; and
(b) participating members may participate in hearings of evidence and deliberations of the committee, and have all the rights of a member of the committee, but may not vote on any questions before the committee.
(4) That every nomination of a member of the committee be notified in writing to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
(5) That the members of the committee hold office as a joint select committee until the House of Representatives is dissolved or expires by effluxion of time.
(6) That the committee elect as its chair a member nominated by the Leader of the Government in the Senate.
(7) That the committee elect as its deputy chair a non-Government member nominated by either the Opposition Whip or a minority party or independent Member of the House of Representatives.
(8) That the deputy chair shall act as chair of the committee at any time when the chair is not present at a meeting of the committee, and at any time when the chair and deputy chair are not present at a meeting of the committee the members present shall elect another member to act as chair at that meeting.
(9) That, in the event of an equally divided vote, the chair, or the deputy chair when acting as chair, have a casting vote.
(10) That 3 members of the committee constitute a quorum of the committee, provided that in a deliberative meeting the quorum shall include 1 Government member of either House and 1 non-Government member of either House.
(12) That the committee appoint the chair of each subcommittee who shall have a casting vote only and at any time when the chair of a subcommittee is not present at a meeting of the subcommittee the members of the subcommittee present shall elect another member of that subcommittee to act as chair at that meeting.
(13) That 2 members of a subcommittee constitute a quorum of that subcommittee, provided that in a deliberative meeting the quorum shall include 1 Government member of either House and 1 non-Government member of either House.
(14) That members of the committee who are not members of a subcommittee may participate in the proceedings of that subcommittee but shall not vote, move any motion or be counted for the purpose of a quorum.
(15) That the committee or any subcommittee have power to call for witnesses to attend and for documents to be produced.
(16) That the committee or any subcommittee may conduct proceedings at any place it sees fit and sit in public or private.
(17) That the committee or any subcommittee have power to adjourn from time to time and to sit during any adjournment of the Senate and the House of Representatives.
(18) That the committee may report from time to time, but that it present its final report no later than 30 June 2015.
(19) That the provisions of this resolution, so far as they are inconsistent with the standing orders, have effect notwithstanding anything contained in the standing orders.
(20) That a message be sent to the House of Representatives seeking its concurrence in this resolution.
Statements by leave: Senators Xenophon and Di Natale, by leave, made statements relating to the motion.
Question put and negatived.