- Parliamentary Business
- Senators and Members
- News & Events
- About Parliament
- Visit Parliament
Note: Where available, the PDF/Word icon below is provided to view the complete and fully formatted document
Table Of ContentsDownload Current Hansard View/Save XML
Previous Fragment Next Fragment
- Start of Business
- NATIONAL HEALTH AND HOSPITALS NETWORK BILL 2010
- AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL PREVENTIVE HEALTH AGENCY BILL 2010
- NATIONAL HEALTH AMENDMENT (PHARMACEUTICAL BENEFITS SCHEME) BILL 2010
- TERRITORIES LAW REFORM BILL 2010
- DEFENCE LEGISLATION AMENDMENT (SECURITY OF DEFENCE PREMISES) BILL 2010
- OZONE PROTECTION AND SYNTHETIC GREENHOUSE GAS MANAGEMENT AMENDMENT BILL 2010
- TRADEX SCHEME AMENDMENT BILL 2010
- HIGHER EDUCATION LEGISLATION AMENDMENT (STUDENT SERVICES AND AMENITIES) BILL 2010
- OFFSHORE PETROLEUM AND GREENHOUSE GAS STORAGE LEGISLATION AMENDMENT (MISCELLANEOUS MEASURES) BILL 2010
- OFFSHORE PETROLEUM AND GREENHOUSE GAS STORAGE (SAFETY LEVIES) AMENDMENT BILL 2010
- FAMILY ASSISTANCE LEGISLATION AMENDMENT (CHILD CARE BUDGET MEASURES) BILL 2010
- SUPERANNUATION LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL 2010
- INTERNATIONAL TAX AGREEMENTS AMENDMENT BILL (NO. 2) 2010
- TAX LAWS AMENDMENT (CONFIDENTIALITY OF TAXPAYER INFORMATION) BILL 2010
- TAX LAWS AMENDMENT (2010 MEASURES NO. 4) BILL 2010
- FISHERIES LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL (NO. 2) 2010
- PRIMARY INDUSTRIES (EXCISE) LEVIES AMENDMENT BILL 2010
- CORPORATIONS AMENDMENT (SONS OF GWALIA) BILL 2010
- CORPORATIONS AMENDMENT (NO. 1) BILL 2010
- CARER RECOGNITION BILL 2010
- STANDING ORDERS
- STANDING AND SESSIONAL ORDERS
- GOVERNMENT RESPONSES TO COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Australian Commission for Law Enforcement Integrity Committee
- Australian Crime Commission Committee
- Corporations and Financial Services Committee
- Cyber Safety Committee
- Electoral Matters Committee
- Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade Committee
- Gambling Reform Committee
- Migration Committee
- National Capital and External Territories Committee
- Parliamentary Library Committee
- Treaties Committee
- GOVERNOR-GENERAL’S SPEECH
- STATEMENTS BY MEMBERS
QUESTIONS WITHOUT NOTICE
(Abbott, Tony, MP, Gillard, Julia, MP)
Delhi Commonwealth Games
(Owens, Julie, MP, Gillard, Julia, MP)
Emissions Trading Scheme
(Hockey, Joe, MP, Swan, Wayne, MP)
(Thomson, Craig, MP, Gillard, Julia, MP)
(Abbott, Tony, MP, Gillard, Julia, MP)
(Saffin, Janelle, MP, Swan, Wayne, MP)
(Entsch, Warren, MP)
(Zappia, Tony, MP, Combet, Greg, MP)
Local Hospital Networks
(Oakeshott, Rob, MP, Roxon, Nicola, MP)
(Neumann, Shayne, MP, Smith, Stephen, MP)
(Haase, Barry, MP, Bowen, Chris, MP)
(Parke, Melissa, MP, Rudd, Kevin, MP)
(Bishop, Julie, MP, Rudd, Kevin, MP)
(Livermore, Kirsten, MP, Crean, Simon, MP)
(Ciobo, Steven, MP, Swan, Wayne, MP)
(Champion, Nick, MP, Macklin, Jenny, MP)
Building the Education Revolution Program
(Pyne, Chris, MP, Garrett, Peter, MP)
Australian Federal Police
(Hayes, Chris, MP, O’Connor, Brendan, MP)
Home Insulation Program
(Truss, Warren, MP, Gillard, Julia, MP)
(Ripoll, Bernie, MP, McClelland, Robert, MP)
- Climate Change
- MINISTERIAL ARRANGEMENTS
- PRIME MINISTER
- AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL AUDIT OFFICE
- AUDITOR-GENERAL’S REPORTS
- MATTERS OF PUBLIC IMPORTANCE
- GOVERNOR-GENERAL’S SPEECH
Wednesday, 29 September 2010
Mr ALBANESE (Grayndler —Leader of the House) [1:05 PM] —I move:
(a) That a Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade be appointed to inquire into and report on such matters relating to foreign affairs, defence and trade as may be referred to it by:
(i) either House of the Parliament;
(ii) the Minister for Foreign Affairs;
(iii) the Minister for Defence; or
(iv) the Minister for Trade.
(b) That annual reports of government departments and authorities tabled in the House shall stand referred to the committee for any inquiry the committee may wish to make. Reports shall stand referred to the committee in accordance with a schedule tabled by the Speaker to record the areas of responsibility of each committee, provided that:
(i) any question concerning responsibility for a report or a part of a report shall be determined by the Speaker; and
(ii) the period during which an inquiry concerning an annual report may be commenced by a committee shall end on the day on which the next annual report of that Department or authority is presented to the House.
(2) That the committee consist of 34 members, 13 Members of the House of Representatives to be nominated by the Government Whip or Whips, 9 Members of the House of Representatives to be nominated by the Opposition Whip or Whips or by any non-aligned Member, 5 Senators to be nominated by the Leader of the Government in the Senate, 5 Senators to be nominated by the Leader of the Opposition in the Senate and 2 Senators to be nominated by any minority group or groups or independent Senator or independent Senators.
(3) That every nomination of a member of the committee be notified in writing to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
(4) That the members of the committee hold office as a joint standing committee until the House of Representatives is dissolved or expires by effluxion of time.
(5) That the committee elect a Government member as its chair.
(6) That the committee elect a non-Government member as its deputy chair who shall act as chair of the committee at any time when the chair is not present at a meeting of the committee and at any time when the chair and deputy chair are not present at a meeting of the committee the members present shall elect another member to act as chair at that meeting.
(7) That in the event of an equally divided vote, the chair, or the deputy chair when acting as chair, have a casting vote.
(8) That 6 members of the committee constitute a quorum of the committee, provided that in a deliberative meeting the quorum shall include 1 Government member of either House and 1 non-Government member of either House.
(9) That the committee have power to appoint subcommittees consisting of 3 or more of its members and to refer to any subcommittee any matter which the committee is empowered to examine.
(10) That, in addition to the members appointed pursuant to paragraph (9), the chair and deputy chair of the committee be ex officio members of each subcommittee appointed.
(11) That the committee appoint the chair of each subcommittee who shall have a casting vote only, and at any time when the chair of a subcommittee is not present at a meeting of the subcommittee the members of the subcommittee present shall elect another member of that subcommittee to act as chair at that meeting.
(12) That 2 members of a subcommittee constitute the quorum of that subcommittee, provided that in a deliberative meeting the quorum shall include 1 Government member of either House and 1 non-Government member of either House.
(13) That members of the committee who are not members of a subcommittee may participate in the proceedings of that subcommittee but shall not vote, move any motion or be counted for the purpose of a quorum.
(14) That the committee or any subcommittee have power to call for witnesses to attend and for documents to be produced.
(15) That the committee or any subcommittee may conduct proceedings at any place it sees fit.
(16) That a subcommittee have power to adjourn from time to time and to sit during any adjournment of the Senate and the House of Representatives.
(17) That the committee may report from time to time.
(18) That the committee or any subcommittee have power to consider and make use of the evidence and records of the Joint Committees on Foreign Affairs and Defence and Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade appointed during previous Parliaments.
(19) That the provisions of this resolution, so far as they are inconsistent with the standing orders, have effect notwithstanding anything contained in the standing orders.
(20) That a message be sent to the Senate acquainting it of this resolution and requesting that it concur and take action accordingly.
Question agreed to.